Become A Red Cross Volunteer!
The Role of Volunteers
The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provide relief
to victims of disasters and helps people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies.
The role of the Red Cross Volunteer should never be underestimated.
Volunteers give their time and talents to the Heartland Chapter so it can better function in
the community and provide vital services in an effective and efficient manner. Without volunteers
, the Red Cross as we know it would not exist.
Volunteers Benefit The Heartland Chapter At Every Level
- There are 975 registered volunteers and 530 Disaster Bank volunteers for a total of 1,505 active Heartland Chapter volunteers.
- Ratio of paid staff to registered volunteers and disaster bank staff is 45 to one.
- Volunteer clerical support provided 3,375 hours of assistance averaging 300 hours per month.
- Hospital volunteer staff provided 14,500 hours at seven area hospitals.
- Casework volunteers provided 2,592 hours.
- Youth volunteers provided 4,560 hours in various areas of service and community outreach.
- Volunteer staff supplied 28,000 hours to Midwest Region Blood Services by working at bloodmobiles and transporting blood and donors
- Disaster Action Team members provided 14,712 hours in shifts 24-hours a day, 365-days a year.
- Health and Safety drivers gave 1,536 hours to deliver CPR manikins and class materials.
- Last year, volunteers donated a total of 89,916 hours to the Heartland Chapter. If these hours were valued at $5 per hour, volunteer time was worth more than $449,000.
- The most often stated reason for volunteering for the Red Cross is "to help people who need help."
Available Volunteer Positions
Emergency and Disaster Services: Application Specialist, Disaster Action Team volunteer, Volunteer Caseworker, Transcriptionist and Fire Safety Puppeteer.
Community Health and Safety: Health and Safety Instructor, Driver, Equipment Maintenance Assistant.
Station at Offutt Air Force Base: Project Video Connect Volunteers, Office Support, Special Event Volunteers; Disaster Action Team Volunteer,Safety Instructors, Hospital volunteer (Ehrling Bergquist Hospital).
Midwest Region Blood Services: In-house Driver, Distribution Driver, Shuttle Driver, Bloodmobile Volunteer, Donor Scheduler.
Office of Volunteers: Nursing Enrollment Coordinator, Transportation Coordinator, special event volunteer, data entry volunteer, information booth volunteer; Midwest Region Blood
Services: Drivers (In-house, distribution and shuttle) and Bloodmobile volunteer.
Other volunteer positions are available in various departments as interns, public speakers or special project volunteers.
Additional Volunteer Opportunities
- Disaster Action Team
- Fund Raising Support
- Special Events/Activities
- Teaching (Health & Safety)
- Chapter Clerical Support
- Blood Drives
There are numerous ways you can help. We can match almost any skill with a need or teach you
skills you can use for a lifetime. Whatever you contribute to the Red Cross helps make your
community--and world--a better place.
For more information on volunteer opportunities to serve with the American Red Cross Heartland
Chapter in Douglas, Sarpy and Cass counties, contact the Office of Volunteers, (402)343-7700.